T20 ARGENTINA ASSOCIATED EVENT
The National University of Defense (UNDEF) and the T20 Argentina are organizing a seminar on “T20 and climate change: Planning, risks and response facing the emergency” to analyze the current response strategies facing climate events that are becoming increasingly prevalent.
The event, which will be hosted by UNDEF, will be attended by Argentine specialists and foreigners from the local, national and international arena, experts from think tanks and academics.
During the day, a number of topics will be discussed such as “National Strategy on Climate Change” in Argentina; the response of local governments to emergencies; UNDEF’s experience on creating the Country Report on Climate Change; and the strategic planning of States to assist inthe challenges of Climate Change.
8:30 am. Accreditation
9:00 am. T20 Welcome Remarks
- Adalberto Rodriguez Giavarini, president of the Argentine Council for International Relations (CARI)
Welcome Remarks from the National University of Defense
- Gonzalo Álvarez, rector of the National University of Defense (UNDEF)
9:10 am. Opening Remarks
- Sergio Bergman, Minister of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Oscar Aguad, Minister of Defense
- Agustín Campero, Secretary of scientific and technological coordination, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
9:40 am. Special Guest
Ovais Sarmad. Deputy Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
10:10 am. Break
10:25 am. Public policies for climate change
The emergence of climate change has forced countries around the world to realign their priorities and to manage their responsiveness and future planning in front of climate events that are becoming increasingly more prevalent. Argentina is currently working on a National Strategy for Climate Change. How is it creating this strategy?
Moderator: María Eugenia Di Paola, coordinator of the Program of Environment and Sustainable Development at the United Nations Program for Development (PNUD).
- Carlos Gentile, secretary of Climate Change and Sustainable Development at the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development
- Ana Carolina Herrero, Cities Program – CIPPEC
- Claudia Natenzon, Social Vulnerability – Conicet
- Martín Fraguío, Committee of Environmental Studies – CARI
- Miguel Martín, coordinator of the Scientific Organisms Network – Technician for Comprehensive Risk Management, Ministry of Science and Technology
12:00 pm. Local governments facing climate change challenges
Local governments are carrying out a profound study on the challenges of climate change and the possible responses to emergencies that this brings about. What is this study like and in what is their ability to respond to this problem?
Moderator: Mariano Gendra Gigena, co-chair of the Climate Action and Infrastructure for Development Task Force
- Humberto Mingorance, secretary of Environment for Mendoza
- Mauro Pérez Toscani, secretary of Environment, Sustainable Development and Climate Change for Tierra del Fuego and president of Commission of Climate Change of the Federal Council of the Environment – COFEMA
- María Inés Zigarán, Ministry of the Environment of Jujuy
2:30 pm. Experiences in creating the Country Report on Climate Change
The “Country Report on Climate Change” is a proposal pushed by UNDEF to cover the deficit of an integral and systemic study on the effects of climate change in all the national territory with certain predictions on its consequences it will have in 2030 – 2050 in terms of rainfall patterns, watershed level, soil use, cities, weather-related emergencies and resilience. This report has already been produced in a number of countries around the world.
Moderator: Miguel Lozupone, director of the Climate Change Program, UNDEF
- Vicente Barros, director of the Country Report on Climate Change, UNDEF
- Patricia Romero Lankao, UCAR – University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
- Youba Sokona, vice president, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC
3:55 pm. Planning for emergency assistance in the face of climate change challenges
New functions that require more effort and resources from the State in the face of the emerging climate opens the debate to a new paradigm of strategic planning. What are the priorities, the redefinition of the role of institutions, and their responsiveness in the face of the crisis?
Moderator: Silvia Fontana, national director of Planning for Emergency Assistance, Ministry of Defense
- Nicolás Regaud, general director of International Relations and Strategy, Ministry of Defense of France
- Jorge Battaglino, Professor at the Torcuato Di Tella University
- Marcelo Rozas Garay, sub secretary of comprehensive disaster risk management, Ministry of Security
- Diego Tipping, president of the Red Cross Argentina
17:15 pm. Words of gratitude and close
- Gabriel Lanfranchi, T20 co-chair of the Task Force on Climate Action and Infrastructure for Development
- Gonzalo Álvarez, rector of the National University of Defense